Saturday, January 23, 2016

SHOW REVIEW: Eminem at Bonnaroo 2011

   I'll start this off by saying I understand that Eminem is seen as a highly-skilled rapper with a firm grasp of internal rhyming and all that shit, but his focus on hatred and HIMSELF always kinda threw me off. Of course I'll jam to some of his songs, they're universal at this point like songs by The Eagles are, but think about what that comparison implies: Lameness. This article will only further emphasize that feeling.
   Bonnaroo 2011 was maybe the best 4 days of my life. I flew out to Tennessee with both of my younger brothers (aka the most important people in my life) and camped with them and saw some of the best live performances I've ever seen. We all have different tastes so we didn't really kick it all the time cuz when Troy wanted to go see Childish Gambino I went to go see School Of Seven Bells; Opeth and Atmosphere played at the exact same time on different stages and although I'm way more metal than I hip-hop, I went and saw Atmosphere while Forrest watched Opeth because I had already seen Opeth before. During Florence and The Machine's set I asked some guy for a hit off his joint and he gave me the entire thing. I met the dudes from that show "The League" and didn't even know who they were. I talked to Allen Touissant after The Meters played their album "Bonnaroo" in full. I saw Neil Young perform with Buffalo Springfield during a light rain. I spent 3 hours looking at the sky while Widespread Panic played for as long. It was an amazing experience. It was the best money my dad ever spent on any of us.
   But Eminem was the alleged "headliner" of the festival and he fucking sucked. He was like, contrary to everything Bonnaroo is about. Every other artist understood the almost-hippie "jam" vibe of the fest; I saw Lil Wayne, who I'm not a fan of at all, have a fucking party onstage, everyone enjoying themselves. Even The Strokes, known for their weird New York faux-austerity, had John fucking Waters onstage jamming out with them. But Eminem started his set out with fake gunshots and said "Fuck You, Bitch" as his opening statement. And that was just the beginning of the bullshit.
   Eminem lip-synched at least 90% of his performance. Maybe some of the middle parts were done authentically but the majority of his songs were clearly pre-recorded and he's not a good enough performer to pull it off. If it was like Britney Spears or Janet Jackson or something and she was dancing around at least that's an excuse for not really singing but goddamn man, you're whole thing is lyricism! You're a fucking rapper! He wasn't doing anything but walking around semi-ominously and kinda attempting to match the recordings behind him. There was even a girl onstage singing Rihanna's parts or whatever to his hits and she was lip-syncing too! And poorly! Like, shit, if you're gonna be that lame at least try.
   Again, I know what's legit and what's not for the most part in the hip-hop world but just take this into consideration: Lil Wayne, G-Unit, B.o.B. and Drake all gave way better performances than Eminem, the apparent best rapper or whatever, did. It was maybe the worst rap performance I've ever seen, and I've been to both Rock The Bells and Paid Dues. Shit, the performances I've seen from Del The Funky Homosapien and Common and Blue Scholars are amongst the dopest things I think I've ever seen. How in the fuck is the biggest draw in that market so fucking lame??
   So that kinda sums up how I feel about Eminem. He's a fucking poser with absolutely no cred and can't even do what he's supposedly a master at. It's all fake.

   Sleep well, wiggers.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment