Thursday, December 24, 2015

ALBUM MINI-REVIEW: Yoji Biomehanika - "Tales From The Big Room"

This is a hard trance album released in 2004 by Japenese DJ Yoji. I downloaded it midway through college when I was getting into rave stuff and he was headlining an event so I listened to this on the way home to Temecula one weekend and I think that was the last time I ever listened to it. It's just one hour-plus track of very repetitive non-progressive trance beats that for me alone in my car doing nothing but driving was straight-up taxing to finish. The CD came up in my pile this morning so I put it on and while I still find it very repetitive and overlong, it works pretty good as mindless background to do stuff around the apartment to. Unlike lyric-based music or metal bands where I'm trying to pay attention to riffs and shit sometimes, this is so intrinsically mindless that its perfect for just walking around and doing shit. I shaved, finished a chapter in the book I'm reading, put some stuff away, got dressed, made my bed, made my breakfast, and wrote this little article while listening to it, whereas usually I'll get like one activity done per album or EP because I'm concerned with what the next song is or what I need to put on afterwards. (I have kinda a weird complex when it comes to my listening habits and this isn't the time nor the place to go into it.)
Anyway, I'm not really recommending this album except to people already into early-2000s trance or people who don't mind almost aggressive repetition.
If you've ever played "Geometry Wars," think of the soundtrack for that and imagine it going for over an hour with no game to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQxljFEBo7k

No comments:

Post a Comment