Sunday, December 13, 2015

INTERVIEW: Drag Me Under, September 4th 2015

This interview was conducted in between bands at Resurrect Cali Fest at 924 Gilman Sep. 4 2015
It was done in 2 parts; The first part is with the bassist and vocalist and the second part is just with the vocalist concerning a DIY venue in Reno. Enjoy.

IAN: Alright this is Ian, I'm just talking with Drag Me Under here, what are your guys's names?
JEREMY: My name is Jeremy, I play bass
MAURICE: I'm Maurice and I do vocals.
I: Word. So I had never seen you guy or really even heard of you guys much before this show; where are you guys from?
M: Reno, NV; just right over the hill
I: I've heard it's kinda violent out there
M: No...
J: Not really but it lingers, like the idea lingers; a lot of bands avoid going there because they think it's just like a beatdown town
M: We understand where the reputation comes from.
J: When we were younger it was definitely kinda a beatdown scene, we've kinda been working our way out of that, it's more positive, I don't know, it's very community-oriented now
I: Well that's where 7 Seconds is from
M: Yeah, 7 Seconds are the old-timers
I: Okay so you guys have a couple different records here, and you were talking about you have a new album you're gonna be putting out soon, is that gonna be on a label or are you doing that yourself?
J: Yeah, Panda Claw Records
M: Yeah, just got the masters today to check it out and verify; I have no idea how long the pressing plant will take for vinyl so we're probably gonna release it digitally before the physical copies, and then we have a 2 week tour in October; we'd like to get it out before then.
I: Always a good idea...what's the new album called?
M: "Moonripper"
[Both Jeremy and Maurice laugh]
I: Word, so are you guys on tour or did you just come out for the show?
M: Pretty much just for the show
J: Yeah we'll be out here all weekend
I: Cool, how's you're take on things [at the show tonight], how are you doing?
J: Doing great
M: Yeah this is awesome
I: So from here are you guys going home, or what are you doing?
M: We're going back home and we're playing with a band called No Future; they played at the show last night, the pre-show thing...We have a show set up with them in Reno on Monday. We're gonna be hanging out here and then going to do that, but you know, there's a few shows coming up.
I: Final word here: everybody's different, everybody has a different answer,: what's your favorite breakfast food?
J: Favorite breakfast food? I really enjoy pancakes or waffles
I: Okay more on the bread end, carbs
M: Yeah. Carbs.
J: Anything that makes me wanna go RIGHT back to sleep. That's what I want, you know?
I: Totally. Well thanks for talking with me and have a good one!
M: Awesome, thanks!

PART 2

IAN: Okay, we're restarting the interview here, we were just talking...so you have a basement venue out there in Reno? That's been going on for quite a while?
MAURICE: Yeah, we have a place called Fort Ryland in Reno that's been going for about 15 years; it took a break for a little bit but we've had some solid bands [come through]. We've had Backtrack play there, Cancer Bats played there.
I: O, those are fairly big bands
M: Yeah, we managed to get those bands. We realized awhile ago that it's the longest-running venue in Reno right now and what kinda kept it going was the people who have lived there, who know what they're getting themselves into, they know they're moving into a show house, they know there's some kind of, some sort of responsibility that comes along with that.
I: Totally...so have there been people come in-and-out or is there like, a core group?
M: For awhile there was like a core group of people and they have all since left, so it's been more or less a revolving door lately, but everyone gets the same talk: like, hey, this isn't a party house, you know? For the most part, when shows are going on they do their best to make sure no one's drinking outside...it got shut down awhile ago because things got out of hand.
I: People stopped caring?
M: Yeah, and so the cops came a bunch, shut it down, and then somebody else moved in, cleaned it up, and the cops would do the same thing. They'd come and just go through the house, literally walking through the whole house, and then realize that no one's drinking, no one's even smoking a cigarette. I mean for awhile everyone who lived there was straight edge and they would just leave. So it was like, alright, cut it off around 10 or 10:30 and fortunately no one's ever gotten seriously hurt or anything [during a show]...that's always a concern.
I: Yeah that's how it was at The Dial for little bit...So are you still going strong?
M: Yeah, still going strong, we're gonna be playing there Monday with No Future from Washington. That's where me and Jeremy, the bassist from Drag Me Under, whenever we book bands we just book it there. It's easier for us, the house doesn't take anything from the door, all the money goes to the bands.
I: O thats's what's up, so they all just pay their own rent?
M: They all pay their rent, they pay the electric bill, there's something like 7 people who live there so it's split up between them. The cost of living in Reno is not very high, so they can afford it. Trust me, it's not that bad.
I: Hey that's awesome...I just wanted to get a little 'scene report' real quick, awesome set tonight Maurice, thank you!
M: You're welcome!

http://dragmeunder.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/dragmeunder/?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment