Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Playlist for March 2014

This is a list of all the albums, EPs, demos, etc that I listened to in their entirety during the month of March 2014. Afterwards are lists of the movies I watched, the live performances I saw, and my notes regarding each.

MUSIC
3/1/14
Nails - "Abandon All Life"

3/2/14
The Plurals/Black Sparrow Press - split EP
Unconditional Arms - "Kinship"
Crisis Arm - "Fetch" EP
Between The Buried And Me - "Alaska"

3/3/14
Undead Cuervo - "End of a Bully" demo
The Bastard Sons - "Bones" EP
Future Islands - "Post Office Wave Chapel" EP
Throw The Goat - "Black Mountain"
Wide Streets - "A Past Hatred Of The Future"

3/4/14
The Ugly Kids - "Kids Are Alright"/"Go Go" digital single
White Murder - S/T
Peach Kelli Pop - "Mindreader"/"Surfing Everyday" 7"
Blu & Exile - "Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them"

3/5/14
Colta/Gypsy Mamba - "Beef'n" split EP
Alexander Spit - "Dillinger"
The Gravitys - May 2011 Demo
Seric - "Eyes Of You" EP

3/6/14
end of the summer - "Second" EP

3/7/14
Dog Days - "Via Dolorosa"

3/8/14
Akira Flip - "June"

3/10/14
Goo Goo Dolls - "A Boy Named Goo"

3/12/14
Southtowne Lanes - "Break You" EP

3/17/14
Helmet - "Betty"

3/18/14
Goo Goo Dolls - "A Boy Named Goo"

3/19/14
end of the summer - "Second" EP
end of the summer - "Three" EP
Alanis Morrissette - "Jagged Little Pill"
The Gravitys - "Bring You Down"

3/20/14
Drug Control - Rough Cuts 2014
Exile - Demo 13
Value - Demo 2012
Goo Goo Dolls - "A Boy Named Goo"

3/21/14
Strike Fast - 2012 Demo
Sleep Walk - "Dreaming of a California Sun" EP
Faith No More - "King For A Day...Fool For A Lifetime"
Geological Creep - "Disparate Forms"

3/22/14
Gorgoroth - "Pentagram"
Dead Waste - "Trog Youth" EP
Whip Hand - "Carnal Sect" EP
Culture Abuse - "The Day Dreams Of Nothing" EP
Lifelock - "Under Pressure" EP
Wax Children - "Angst"

3/23/14
Ian Anderson - "Thick As A Brick 2"
Nirvana - "Nevermind"
Business Boys Never Rest - 4-song demo CD
Blackleg - "Back On" EP
Tim Schweiger - 5-song sampler CD
Shtty Adlts - "All Of These Songs Are About Girls" EP
Sandy Cheeks - "Wet Dreams" digital single
V/A - Epitaph Records 2006 sampler CD
Ash Williams & The Horde - "AWTH"
Bad Kids - "Boys" EP
Valley Girls - "Trash River"

3/24/14
Fugazi - "Red Medicine"
The Body Rampant - "Midnight Mayfair"
Karoshi Boy - "Nothing Is" EP
Singled Out - "The Everett Crew Demo 2013"
Safe And Sound/Singled Out/Red Scare - "The New Blood" 3-way split EP
Desperate Living - "I Think I'm Losing Touch" EP
GWAR - "Hell-O"

3/25/14
Murietta - "Rooster Blue" EP
Kid Armor - Demo
EPonym - "OverAchiever 2"
Chase Moore - "Shaken Not Stirred - A Beat Tape of 007 Flips" EP
V/A - "Psst!" Filter Magazine Summer 2005 promo CD
Hemingway - "Pretend to Care"
Syzslak - "When Angels Ride Demons"
Funeral Oration - "Say No To Life"

3/26/14
Yeren -S/T EP
Tidemouth - "What I Meant To Say"
Mercy Ties - "A Dim Lit Place" 7"
Doses - "Take The High Road"
Stoic Violence - Tour Flexi
Mongoloid - 6-song demo
Sister Crayon - "Cynic"
Astronautica - S/T
Dharma - "Sea Nothing"
Fandeth - "Second Tape"
No Body - "Dark Shadow"/"Dogs Pet Me" digital single
Mynx - S/T 7"
Freak Vibe - "Presents II" EP
INVSN - S/T

3/27/14
Radio Birdman - "Zeno Beach"
DYS - "Brotherhood"
The Verve Pipe - "Villains"
Project Artichoke - "Lo-Fi Nance" EP
DK Slider - "Do Demos Have Names" demo
Ginger Alford - "Into The Void" tour tracks demo
Toby Foster - "On Moving and Standing Still"
Bomb The Music Industry! - "Get Warmer"
LoveyDove - S/T
Terminal A - "Satellite" digital single
Feral Kizzy - S/T
BLOK - "Lair of the White Worm" digital single
Jaded Juice Riders - S/T
Hello Penelope - "Winona Ryder" digital single
Jurassic Shark - "Live @ WKDU 3/4/12"
Girlpool - S/T
The Dogs - "Camping"

3/28/14
Old Man Wizard - "Unfavorable"
Crazy & The Brains - "Sexy Magazines (remix)" digital single
Bellhaunts - "Bleed Into My Mouth" EP
White Night - "In Stereo"
The Meka-Leka Hi's - S/T
Alice Cooper - "Love It To Death"
Bad Cop/Bad Cop - S/T 7"
Darsombra - "Climax Community"

3/29/14
Soto St. - "Go!"
Cochinas - "Unreleased Cochinas Tunez" EP
Social Task - "Public Reaction"
Happy In Hemet - "Fappy Hour"
Obnox - "Canabible Ohio" EP
Slow Children - "Prevalent Emotional Distress"
Tongues - "Raw Nerves" EP
Cigarette Bums - "Holy Smokes!"
Cutty Flam - "Do You Wanna?" digital single
Thee Commons - "Rock Is Dead: Long Live Paper and Scissors (Vol. 1)" EP
Los Craters - "Low Tide Lover"
Electric Children - "Fantasy Land" digital single
The Pocket Rockets - S/T EP
The Abigails - "Songs of Love and Despair"
Ghost Noise - "Teen Veins" digital single
Emmer Effer - "Live in Long Beach" EP
Damaged - "No Such Thing As Control" EP
Boogie Mamas - "Hey, Soft Top!" EP
Shirley Rolls - "Instant Gratification"
Captain Slookie & The Rogue Squadron - "Controlled Chaos"
Pizza Time - "Quiero Mas" EP
Sustains - "Unfound" EP
Sea Lions - "Winter in Space"
Souvenirs - "Sadder Days" EP

3/30/14
Faith No More - "The Real Thing"
Bouncing Souls - "How I Spent My Summer Vacation"
Aberrance - 2013 Demo
D.E.A. - Demo
Electrician - August 2013 demos
Casket - S/T EP
Death Inquisition - April 2012 demos
Xpulsion - "Hunted" EP
SW/MM/NG - "Feel Not Bad" demo
Jurassic Shark - "The Lizard Of Oz" digital single
Vehicle Restoration Systems - "Live at the Crest 8/31/13" EP
Wet Dream Asphyxiation/Aqua-Eroticism - "Hypoxia" joint album

3/31/14
Filardo - "Falling Up"
Chuuwee x Trizz - "AmeriKKa's Most Blunted"
Good Luck Bear - "The Nearest Faraway Place"
Noyes - "Unsaid" demo
Couches - "Trying to Chill" digital single
Tomber Lever - "True North" EP
Stay Cool Forever - "Don't Grow Up" digital single
I.E. - "Most Importantly"

NOTES:
- I <3 Peach Kelli Pop
- "Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them"
- New albums from Blu & Exile, Alexander Spit, EPonym, Chase Moore, Chuuwee x Trizz are all fire
- Favorite "new finds" of the month: Peach Kelli Pop, Dog Days, Exile, Valley Girls, EPonym, Chase Moore, Hemingway, Yeren, Stoic Violence, Astronautica, INVSN, The Meka-Leka Hi's, Darsombra, Tongues, Captain Slookie & The Rogue Squadron, Sustains, Casket, Filardo, Chuuwee, Trizz, Good Luck Bear, Tomber Lever
- I listened to "Vaccination" from "Betty" like all day long on the 17th; Helmet is underrated
- There is no possible way anyone listens to my music more than I myself do it's kinda sad
- I gotta take that Goo Goo Dolls CD off my desk this shit is getting out of hand
- "Dreaming of a California Sun"/ "What I Meant To Say"
- FAITH NO MORE ; fugazi.; Funeral Oration.
- Culture Abuse kicks so much ass
- The unlisted 5th song on that Tim Schweiger CD is the best one I wish I knew its name
- Rest in peace Dave Brockie aka Oderus Urungus
- There's a band called Murietta thats not from Murrieta
- I wonder whatever happened to Syzslak I can't find like any information at all about them
- Yeren is fuckin heavy
- I'm fairly certain that the Doses, Tongues, Aberrance, and Caskets that I listened to are not the same bands who were playing at the shows I was looking up
- In case you haven't heard, the guy from Refused and T(i)NC has a new Cure-sounding band called INVSN and they kick ass
- It's kinda weird that the only Radio Birdman stuff I've ever heard is from the mid-2000s but it's good stuff. I gotta catch up.
- Those two songs that were hits for The Verve Pipe in 1996 are like their only memorable songs; it's easy to see why they so quickly vanished 
- Why do so many bands have like one single song recorded and that's all that they have online? Why not just record at least a FEW songs? I don't get it.
- At first I was upset at The Dogs not being Dogs because Dogs are my boys but as it turns out The Dogs are actually pretty damn good. At least its not how it is with The Gravities. Ugh.
- White Night is just a tad too noisy for my tastes
- The strength of Alice Cooper's music is better than most people give them credit for because it was so drastically overpowered by his stage show ; Don't get me wrong tho it is fuckin cool to watch him get his head cut off and then come back to life but I feel like more people should pay more attention to the songs the band itself wrote -- they're fucking great.
- Bad Cop/Bad Cop's sound is so many miles away from what I had expected that I was a little taken aback; I expected like Nomeansno-style alterna-core for some reason; Not so much. Not bad tho. I was just way off with my expectations
- Goddamn Darsombra is DENSE ; FFO Sleep
- For anybody who's ever maybe seen Happy In Hemet (formerly Beanvian Stalks Guava) perform live but never heard them recorded, do yourself a favor and check out "Fappy Hour." I'ts really damn good.
- The cymbals on that Slow Children album are a tad too loud
- SUSTAINS
- "THE REAL THING"

LIVE PERFORMANCES:
3/8/14 - Merit/Divided Heaven/(end of the summer)/American Rifle/Joshua Bitter/Hail Adventurer @ The Dial
3/19/14 - (The Gravitys)/Southtowne Lanes/Flowers Taped To Pens/Olivias/Throne @ The Dial
3/22/14 - The Coltranes/Culture Abuse/Dead Waste/Man Bites Dog/Whip Hand @ The Dial
3/26/14 - Safe & Sound/Singled Out/Kid Armor/Higher Learning/Desperate Living @ The Dial
3/28/14 - Dharma/Conheartist/Waste Age @ The Dial

LIVE NOTES:
- That acoustic show with Merit was a really good way to start the month
- Our show on the 19th was the first time we had ever closed out a show, and especially regarding how much bigger Southtowne Lanes is than us we were nervous. Thanks to everybody who stuck around to hear our new songs though.
- Higher Learning is like the coolest goddamn band out right now
- I bought a Dharma shirt and when I put it on the image is all off-center like they messed up the screenprinting...why do touring bands just love giving me shirts with messed up designs that I don't realize until I've got back to my house and they're long gone...There seems to be a sinister pattern going on here.

MOVIES
3/1/14 - "Hall Pass"
3/29/14 - "Sorry" skate video ; "Suffer The Joy" skate video
3/30/14 - "The Grand Budapest Hotel"

MOVIE NOTES
- "Suffer The Joy" has a really badass soundtrack
- I identified with what I believe the purpose of "The Grand Budapest Hotel" very much, if I interpreted things correctly.

ZINES
"Concrete Discipline" Issue #1


Rest in peace Sam Asheton, Dave Brockie, and Ultimate Warrior. Thank you for all the inspiration. For real.

No comments:

Post a Comment