Monday, November 4, 2013

Playlist for October 2013

This is a list of all the albums, EPs, demos, etc that I listened to in their entirety during the month of October 2013. Afterwards are my notes, followed by lists of the live music I saw, comics/zines that I read, and movies that I watched and their respective notes as well.

MUSIC:
10/1/13
The Coltranes - "Never Sleep Again/The Man With The Hat" LP
The Beat - "The Kids Are The Same"

10/2/13
The Beat - S/T

10/3/13
Stage Kids - S/T EP
Mylets - "Retcon"

10/4/13
The Coltranes - "The Man With The Hat" EP

10/5/13
Same Difference - "B-Values"
Pray For Teeth - "I'm Still Finding Feathers In My Hair" EP
Patsy O'Hara/Centuries - split EP
Self-Provoked - "Chalk Fades"

10/6/13
Smashing Pumpkins - "MACHINA/The Machines Of God"
Integrity - "In Contrast Of Sin" EP
Drew Andrews - Europe Tour 2008 EP
Hills Like Elephants - "Feral Flocks"
New Mexico - "Malpais"
Wretched Philiproy - Demo
Big Bugs - "201<3" demo
Power Trip - "Manifest Decimation" EP

10/7/13
Code Orange Kids - "Love Is Love//Return To Dust"
Dolphins n Shit - "Untitled"
Terminal A - "Satellite" digital single
Sashcloth & Ashes - "Just One Night" 7"
Neighbors To The North - "Starfisher"
Fucked Up - "No Pasaran" 7"
Terror - "One With The Underdogs"
Wesley Hartley & The Travelling Trees - "Narrow Gauge Quad Trains"
Goodnight Ravenswood - "Freedom" EP
decker. - "Slider"

10/8/13
Gloomsday - "Paradise Tossed"
The Electric Healing Sound - "Tangled Up"
Shiva Trash - S/T EP
Computer Jay - "Black Smoke" digital single
Rocky Business - "White People Are Drug Dealers Too" mixtape
Spirit Animal - "Kingdom Phylum" EP
Ashen Earth - 2-song digital demo

10/9/13
Lycanthia - "Oligarchy"
end of the summer - "Three" EP


10/10/13
Paul Baribeau - "Unbearable"
Forty Winters - "Reflections"
Cannibal Corpse - "The Bleeding"

10/11/13
end of the summer - "Three" EP

10/12/13
Twitching Tongues - "Sleepy Therapy"
Turnstile - "Pressure to Succeed" EP
Tommy Santee Klaws - "Of Light"
Last In Line - "They Gave Us Free Alcohol" live album

10/13/13
end of the summer - "Three" EP

10/14/13
end of the summer - "Second" EP
The Coathangers - "Larceny & Old Lace"
Coward - "Arise" EP
Rexx - "My Last Moment Of Teenage Angst"
Abiotic - "A Universal Plague"
Greyline/Otis - "Epidemic of the Forked Tongue" split EP
Waking The Cadaver - "Beyond Cops. Beyond God."

10/15/13
Devourment - "Conceived in Sewage"
Pool Party - "Pet Me" EP
Exhumed - "Anatomy is Destiny"

10/16/14
The Coltranes - "Never Sleep Again/The Man With The Hat" LP
The Coltranes - "The Man With The Hat" EP

10/17/13
Children Of Bodom - "Are You Dead Yet?"
Screaming Trees - "Sweet Oblivion"

10/20/13
Refused - "Pump The Brakes" EP

10/21/13
Crisis Arm/Dogs - "Crisis Dogs" split EP
Kettle Cadaver - "Halloween"

10/23/13
He Whose Ox Is Gored - "Nightshade" EP
Hellbent - 2007 Demo
Ground Up - 2008 Demo
Remembering Never - "She Looks So Good In Red"

10/24/13
end of the summer - "Three" EP
The Coltranes - "Never Sleep Again/The Man With The Hat" LP

10/27/13
Wretched Philiproy - Demo
The Coltranes - "Never Sleep Again/The Man With The Hat" LP

10/31/13
Samhain - "November Coming Fire"

MUSIC NOTES:
- "The Man With The Hat" EP is just on repeat over and over and over I cannot get enough of it; "Underneath this house...THIS HOUSE...This house where I was born...I'VE BEEN MINING FOR DAYS"
- I have a song called "Bluff" that I was really trying to grow and then I heard "Will You Listen?" by The Beat and completely lost all inspiration because my main riff is the same as the main riff in that song
- I think I listen to "MACHINA" more than any other Pumpkins album
- Learning Wretched Philiproy songs made Dustin haunt me more than ever
- God damn Power Trip is badass
- Worst of the month: Terminal A (sucky), Sashcloth & Ashes (sucky), Neighbors To The North (boring), Goodnight Ravenswood (boring), Rocky Business (lame), Spirit Animal (super lame - also not the metal band Spirit Animal its some bullshit dance-pop stuff), Twitching Tongues (just terrible), Pool Party (also super lame)
- Thank you KP for making my new eots EP; Crisis Arm says it sounds midi; what do they know
- Twitching Tongues fucking suck, I thought they were supposed to be a hardcore band or something but instead they are like Sevendust if Sevendust wasn't as dope as they are (hint: Sevendust sucks)
- I bet I would have a crush on every single one of The Coathangers if I saw them live
- I assumed that Coward was gonna be like a Japanese noise-core band but they turned out to be a French acoustic project...Needless to say I was a bit thrown off
- Similarly, I assumed that Waking The Cadaver was a toothless deathcore band but they are a brutal death metal band on par with Dying Fetus (who they are currently on tour with)
- I reviewed that Rexx album on this blog just scroll down
-"Are You Dead Yet?" isn't the best COB album by a long shot but its not an utter piece of shit like people made it seem at the time...Honestly I never understood the problem it sounds so similar, metal fans are such nitpickers
- "YOU GOTTA PUMP THE BRAKES! PUMP ON THE BRAKES!"
- The singer for Remembering Never has never ever been on key in his entire life


LIVE:
10/2/13 - The Coltranes/Crooked Bangs/Bad Antics @ The Dial
10/3/13 - The Maxies/The Beat/Ready Steady Go/(The Gravitys) @ The Dial
10/4/13 - Sam Palacios/(Ian C.)/Ethan Harvey @ The Dial Open Mic Night
10/18/13 - The Coltranes @ The Vault
10/21/13 - Lo There Do I See My Brother/He Whose Ox Is Gored/Narrowed/Airs/Crisis Arm @ The Dial
10/25/13 - Sam Palacios @ The Dial Gallery Night
10/26/13 - Them Savages/Crisis Arm/The Coltranes/(The Gravitys)/Planet Vegeta/Liquid @ Anthony Lozano's house -- HAPPY FEST 2013

LIVE NOTES:
- The Beat was one of the best bands I have seen in a very long while and it was an honor to get to perform at the same show as them
- I'm really happy I was able to catch the end of Ethan's set at open mic night; him and I performed together at different open mics way back in the day, always back to back, every Wednesday for like a year...He had to move to Texas and that was one of his last local performances until he comes back. It's a shame nobody was really there
- Sam's solo bass project fucking rules
- I fell and hurt myself really bad during The Coltranes set at The Vault and then Ivan tried to screw them out of their rightful pay...Wasn't really the best night.
- HE WHOSE OX IS GORED: If A Perfect Circle were a bit darker, or if Opeth wasn't as dark, but with more keyboards. Fucking awesome.
- I don't know if that's the correct order of the performances at Happy Fest because as anyone who was there can attest, I was fucking smashed at that party. Shit was fun tho. I lost a Dr. Scholl's.

MOVIES:
10/2/13 - "This Is The End"
10/4/13 - "This Is The End"
10/17/13 - "Toy Story 3"
10/24/13 - "Rushmore"
10/28/13 - "Kettle Cadaver: A Taste Of Blood"

MOVIE NOTES:
- TAKE YO PANTIES OFF!!!
- I cried for like the entirety of "Toy Story 3"
- Goddamn I forgot what sick evil people Kettle Cadaver and all of us descendents truly are.

COMICS:
10/8/13: "Cold Porridge" issue #1 (much dopeness Brandon can't wait for the next one)
10/17/13: "Bongo Comics Free-For-All 2013"

ZINES:
10/27/13: "Pitted Press" issue 1 (another one will eventually surface and it will be way cooler than this first issue. I promise)

No comments:

Post a Comment