Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Playlist for September 2013

   This is a list of all the albums, EPs, and demos I listened to in their entirety during the month of September 2013. Afterward are my notes, followed by a list of live performances I saw in that time period, followed by a list of the movies I watched this month as well.
   I was kind-of in a slump during the middle of the month (more-so than I already normally am) and that can be evidenced by the greatly diminished amount of music going on between the 5th and the 18th.

MUSIC PLAYLIST
9/1/13
MethXBreath - Demo 2013
Crush - Tour EP
Higher Learning - DIY Demo 2K10
Clarity - Demo 2011
FocusedXMinds - "Straight Edge Overload" EP
The Filthy Violets - "Lackluster Blvd." EP

9/2/13
iamsu! - "Young California"
Zak Waters - "New Normal" EP
Freeway - "Diamond in the Ruff"
Social Club - "Misfits"

9/3/13
The Internet - "Purple Naked Ladies"

9/4/13
Quitapenas - "Mas Tropical Vol. 1" EP
9th Wonder - "The Wonder Years"

9/5/13
Danzig - "II: Lucifuge"

9/6/13
The Replacements - "Let It Be"

9/12/13
The Replacements - "Let It Be"

9/13/13
The Replacements - "Let It Be"

9/14/13
Funeral Oration - "Say No To Life"

9/16/13
Poison The Well - "You Come Before You"
Ground Up - 2008 Demo

9/17/13
Crisis Arm - "Caterwaul"
The Gravitys - "Bring You Down"

9/18/13
Kaioken - 2013 Demo
The Illustrative Violet - "Such A Thing As Everything" EP
The Grinning Ghosts - "Pastiche Depression" EP

9/19/13
New Beat Fund - "Coinz" EP
Names Divine - "Thankful"

9/21/13
end of the summer - "Second" EP
Snapcase - "Lookinglasself"

9/22/13
Airs - "Adore"
Apathean - "Eve"
The Burning Of Rome - "With Us"
The Psychedelic Furs - "Midnight To Midnight"
Tiny Telephones - "The Heavenly Child"
The Octopus Project - "Hello, Avalanche"
Big Bad Buffalo - "First" EP
Swift Intruders - "The Sky Readings" EP

9/23/13
Joan Of Arc - "The Gap"
Cruel Hand - "Lock & Key"

9/24/13
Balance and Composure - "The Things We Think We're Missing"
Jeans Wilder - "Simpler Times" EP
Wolf Parade - 2003 EP
Mission Of Burma - "Vs."
end of the summer - "Second" EP

9/25/13
Tropical Popsicle - "The Dawn of Delight"
end of the summer - "Second" EP
Life's Blood - "Defiance" EP
end of the summer - "Second" EP

9/26/13
end of the summer - "Second" EP
Belle and Sebastian - "3...6...9 Seconds Of Light" EP
Belle and Sebastian - "This is Just a Modern Rock Song" EP

9/27/13
The Dickheads - "SxTxCx" demo
Wretched Philiproy - Demo

9/30/13
Forest Kingdom - "Eldritch" EP
Nicole Kidman - "-" cassette

MUSIC NOTES:
- FocusedXMinds are fucking over the top
- Between The Filthy Violets, iamsu!, Zak Waters, Social Club, and New Beat Fund, I listened to a lot of really shitty up-and-comers this month
- I like The Internet
- "Lucifuge" is just so goddamn badass
- I listened to "Let It Be" wayyy more times than this list would imply; on the 12th me and Spenny listened to it on repeat for several hours and then it was in the ratcar for several days...Before this binge I was mainly into "Answering Machine" and "Unsatisfied" but at this point I'm heavily addicted to each and every song on there.
- "Say No To Life" is much different than "Communion" and not nearly as jammed into my head as that album is, but all the acoustic flourishes really put it into competition as my favorite Funeral Oration album
- "Caterwaul" is without a doubt the best album of 2013
- The Illustrative Violet is really good.
- new end of the summer EP available now through Not Punk Records
- wow I forgot how good "Lookinglasself" is. Same for Mission Of Burma in general
- AIRS
- Apathean has been asking me to review that album since before it came out and I
finally listened to it...review coming eventually
- damn Cruel Hand is badass how did I sleep on them for so long
- for some reason I thought Balance And Composure was gonna be some lame poetry-core band like La Dispute but not so much, theyre really good
- LIFE'S BLOOD
- "This is Just a Modern Rock Song"
- Pat from The Dickheads asked me this very morning (10/2) to review The Dickheads on this shit-talking blog...Man are they in for it
- Happy birthday Dusty

LIVE:
9/6/13 - Crisis Arm/Dogs @ Blood Orange Infoshop (Crisis Arm's "Caterwaul" release show)
9/7/13 - Crisis Arm/Obsolete Sun/Dogs/Save The Swim Team/(The Gravitys)/Beanvian Stalks Guava/The Nest @ The Dial (International Cassette Store Day Fest)
9/15/13 - Sneeze/(end of the summer) @ The Dial
9/19/13 - The Grinning Ghosts/The Illustrative Violet/Dani Poppit @ The Dial
9/20/13 - Divided Heaven/Bradley Riot/(end of the summer)/No Red Alice/Jason Crook @ The Dial
9/27/13 - The Dickheads/Beanvian Stalks Guava/Sold Souls @ The Dial
9/28/13 - Pardon Me Sir/Liquid/C. Kitten/Beanvian Stalks Guava @ The Dial

LIVE NOTES:
- I feel so stupid for having slept through the entire Crisis Arm cassette release show and then making a complete ass out of myself and dissolving my own band's set at International Cassette Store Day...I'm sorry to everybody I insulted, irritated, or otherwise imposed upon that weekend. That shit sucked.
- Sneeze was dope as fuck but they sold me a goddamn Youth Large shirt...Can't nobody rock a damn Youth Large, especially not my fat ass
- The Illustrative Violet is really good
- Beanvian Stalks Guava are just such swell fellas


MOVIES
9/3/13
"When A Man Loves A Woman"

9/4/13
"The Weatherman"
"The Place Beyond The Pines"

9/5/13
"The Iceman"

9/8/13
"The House Bunny"

9/14/13
"Role Models"

9/16/13
"30 Minutes Or Less"

9/18/13
"Strange Brew"

9/19/13
"Now You See Me"

MOVIE NOTES
- "The Weatherman" is a weird, weird movie
- Goddamn "The Place Beyond The Pines" was good
- My co-worker claims that "Strange Brew" is her favorite movie of all time but I just don't get it
- "Now You See Me" is by far one of the stupidest goddamned movies I have seen in quite a long time

No comments:

Post a Comment