Monday, March 14, 2016

INTERVIEW: Alex from New Gods at The Dial, January 11th 206

IAN: Hi, this is Ian, I'm talking with Alex, the vocalist of New Gods, who's looking over the merch table where I just got a large white shirt with Felix The Cat on it
[FULL DISCLOSURE: I never wore that shirt and it is now in the possession of Evan Coltrane, who still owes me $5]
So, you guys have been down here a couple times, are you on tour right now?
ALEX: Yes
I: What's your next stop from here?
A: We are playing in LA tomorrow
I: Cool
A: Yeah, its on the way home
I: How do you feel about this area down here?
A: We love The Dial. We're glad The Dial is a thing again. The kids down here are always really wild; you got the The Coltranes, you got Half Goon - rest in peace
I: I've seen you guys a couple times, I know you're from Seattle; are you familiar with Health Problems?
A: Yeah
I: What would you say about your scene up there?
A: I think it's the best scene in the U.S. right now, or maybe the world
I: Yeah, every time I talk to somebody from that area, it sounds like it's a great place to be...What would you say is the difference between your scene up there versus other places you go?
A: I don't know, I don't really wanna speak on other scenes because I don't experience them on a day-to-day basis; but for us, there's an incredible amount of camaraderie and there's no weird pretense. Everyone is friends and the bands are all super diverse and we all support each other. Shows are usually lots of fun.
I: Word. Now here's something I've always wondered about; I guess back in the day [up there] there was something called the Teenage Dancing Ordinance?
A: Yeah, that was years ago
I: So, if I were to go to a punk show nowadays, I'm not gonna get kicked out for moshing?
A: No. That pertains to nothing. That has not meant anything for like, 15 years.
I: Word. Alright well it lopoks like the next band is almost done setting up, so I really appreciate your time talking with me...Do you have any upcoming releases?
A: Yeah, we have a single coming out on a record label called Anybody's Flowers. We were able to get the cassette version but the vinyl version is taking awhile to get out, but that should be out relatively soon...although we've been saying that for awhile
I: Understandable
A: We're in the process of recording an LP but that'll be awhile out...so we have a lot of stuff coming up
I: Hell yeah
A: Just trying to get stuff out there
I: Okay so to kinda wrap things up, this is something I ask pretty much everybody when I talk to them: What's your favorite breakfast food?
A: Grits
I: Just grits?
A: Yeah, that's it
I: Alright, I can live with that
A: I'm a simple man. I'm easily pleased.
I: [Laughter] Alright, well again, thanks for talking with me!

https://newgods.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment