Friday, February 5, 2016

BAND INTERVIEW: Woodruff @ The Dial 12/19/15

 NOTE: As is the oftentimes the case when I interview whole bands all at once, sometimes the voices become jumbled together so I apologize in advance if any of the quotes here are mis-attributed. You all sound the same.

IAN: Alright this is Ian, I'm talking with Woodruff; What were your names and what do you do in the band?
JEFF: I'm Jeff Waber, I play guitar and sing
ADAM: I'm Adam Packard and I play the bass
WESTON: Weston Bowers, drums
MARCO: I'm Marco and I play guitar
I: Word so I just saw you here at The Dial and you were talking about, this was your second show...How long have you guys been playing?
M: I think, like, 3 months?
J: We started in what, October? September/October.
I: Cool. I mean, you guys sound real refined for being that new of a band; Have you guys already been in other projects before?
W: Yeah, I play in a post-punk group called Moonpool from San Diego
I: I've heard of you guys, actually
W: Really?
I: Yeah I think I listened to your demo
W: Yeah we play like the Soda Bar and stuff like that down there
I: Yeah, it's that post-punk stuff
W: Yeah, almost like 80s goth-rock, almost new wave
I: Cool, I didn't even realize [the connection]
M: And then, me and Adam, we play in a band called Contradictory Me that's kind-of on hiatus right now
I: Again, I feel like I've heard of that name\
M: We've played a couple times here. And then Jeff and I, we've known each other from like, coffee shops
J: Yeah, we met in like 2008 or so. I have a solo project called Aplombed, I've been doing that for a long time.
I: Cool. Well, as I mentioned [to you guys] after your set, to me you gave off a '90s grunge - but like, soft-grunge - [vibe] like Built To Spill, Pavement, those bands
M: Jets To Brazil
A: Yeah, the '90s punk-pop Bay Area stuff like Jawbreaker
I: I feel like a lot of [that scene] remains kind-of unknown to much of our generation and overly-venerated by another patch like ourselves
J: Yeah, nobody ever knows what I'm talking about
I: So you said this was your second show, where was your first show?
J: We played the Bancroft, it's in Spring Valley. It's a wonderful little place, really. I thought it was gonna be a little dive bar and my expectations weren't high but when we got there, it was a great environment
Others: Yeah, great environment
I: So you guys have a couple songs on SoundCloud, do you have plans to record a new demo or an EP or...?
J: Yeah, I think we're up to 8 songs now, maybe 10 if we polish a couple up, and then we're gonna record. We're planning to record an album.
I: That's what's up. So, places like this, The Dial etc., is this the kind of place you're used to playing [with your past bands]? Like, what are your expectations [for this project]?
J: I mean, I used to do a lot of acoustic stuff in environments like this; I honestly don't have much experience in a full-band environment, but I know Weston certainly does, and Adam and Marco do too.
W: Well, [I appreciate] pretty much any place that gives us a chance to play, you know, get our music out there. Also, the more we play the more we support venues like this...we were here [at The Dial] when it went downhill and it disappeared for awhile, which was a very big change.
M: There's really nowhere between San Diego and L.A., it's all very scattered
J: Finding new places and meeting new bands...
W: I mean,. the next place closest to this is the Che Cafe
I: And that almost got shut down too!
W: But they're starting to have shows again
J: Yeah we're talking to them about doing something
I: Yeah I played a show there right when they were getting shut down and it was like, emotional, you know? But now they're back in business, you know, gotta keep it going strong. But, alright, I'm gonna kinda wrap it up here; you said you've got a new album in the works|
M or A: I think we should definitely have some stuff by March
I: For a second show, you guys were really, really strong. The way I always close out interviews, just to kind-of get people's take on things, [is]: what would you say is your favorite breakfast food? I'm gonna go one-by-one here
J: Juevos Rancheros
A; Just some scrambled eggs
W: Just eggs over-easy and a couple strips of bacon
M: Eggs in a basket
I: Okay, what does that entail?
M: The way I make them, I cook some toast, cut a hole in the middle, pour the egg over that, and then you let it brown.
[Miller Stehle enthusiastically enters the circle because eggs in a basket are his go-to breakfast as well]
I: Alright now we got my buddy Miller here, he's very excited about that
[Laughter all around]
Well thank you for the interview, Woodruff!
J: Thank you!

http://woodruff.bandcamp.com/releases

No comments:

Post a Comment