Friday, October 23, 2015

INTERVIEW: Daniel from Health Problems, September 3rd 2015

Ian: This is Ian and I'm talking with Dan from Health Problems, we're at...what is this place?
Dan: (Shouting to someone else) What's this place called?
[Sam from The Coltranes passes by]
I: Sam! What is this place called?
D: We're in Santa Rosa
I: Tomorrow is Resurrect Cali
Sam: The Francis Theatre or some shit
I: [So we're at The Francis Theatre], you guys are on tour from Seattle; what's your itinerary been like?
D: We went through the Great American West into the Midwest, had a bunch of shows there, then swooped down South into Texas, then the Southwest, and then the West Coast. Oh and we played a couple Canadian and Northwest shows too
[NOISE]
I: Of course they're gonna start doing their jamming now; we can go into a different room...So I understand you guys had your van break down, where did that happen?
D: Oh, in Eastern Texas. It broke down twice; oh god it was so terrible...each time it broke down it was a full 24-hour process, having it towed, it's a station wagon - a Subaru - really old, over 200,000 miles. We had to get it towed, stay at a motel overnight until the mechanic could look at it, he got it back on the road the first time, we played in Austin and then in the middle of the desert it broke down again, it was another whole 24-hour process and we had to scrap it that time because the repair was gonna cost over $1,000 and we were gonna miss shows waiting for the guy to fix it.
I: Gotta do what you gotta do
D: So I'm down my personal car and the cost of a rental
I: O my god so that was your car?
D: Yeah it was me and my wife's personal station wagon
I: Awww...
D: And then we had to get the rental van
I: So what are you gonna do when you get home?
D: Uh, I don't know yet...
I: Oh man
D: Yeah, it's a straight-up unfortunate situation
I: Well, besides that, how's your tour been going?
D: That stretch in the Midwest was great, we played some really great shows, drove from Kansas City all the way to Minneapolis, down again to Nashville...Milwaukee and Iowa City were highlights...
[BASS NOISE]
I: Okay, we're moving it out to kinda the backstage place here so I can finish this interview...okay so you've had a good experience for the most part
D: Yeah
I: And you're here in the Bay Area right now, have you played here before?
D: Uh, yeah, we've played in the Bay Area a couple days at a time for the last 2 years, we've done West Coast tours the last 2 years
I: O word, so how long have you guys been playing?
D: 3 and a half years
I: How would you describe your experience in your scene up there in Seattle? Like, what's your take on what\s going on up there?
D: Oh, it's a lot of fun, there's a lot of creativity up there right now. There's a whole bunch of really exciting bands. I mean, in Seattle there's bands like Baths and Nudes and a whole lot of really good bands, and then up in Canada we played with Freak Heat Waves at the beginning of the tour, we played Victoria and Vancouver with Freak Heat Waves, who everyone should check out.
I: Okay, so as I mentioned I'm here with The Coltranes doing merch, and they had a problem on a recent tour when they went to Canada because the guitarist wasn't able to get in. Have you had any problems when you were doing the crossover there?
D: Luckily, not at all. We got through smoothly. We always hear bad stories about it.
I: Alright so I'm just gonna try to get a final question in cuz it looks like the next band is about to play...so you have a new album coming out soon through Virgin Spring called "Winners;" when did you guys record that?
D: A long time ago, about a year ago
I: Yeah I just heard it recently
D: Yeah it took us time to find those guys to release it and then to press the vinyl, that takes awhile...in the meantime as we've waited for the release, we've recorded and released a whole other full-length called "Ugly Man"
I: And you have a flexi as well
D: Yeah, that's through our friend Anthony from [band names inaudible under background noise -> maybe Lysol?] ; he released that flexi.
I: Word, alright well the next band's about to play, sorry to keep you but I do appreciate it; good luck with your tour and everything on your way home
D: Thank you

http://healthproblems.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Health-Problems-509733902393850/timeline/

No comments:

Post a Comment