Monday, September 15, 2014

EP REVIEW: Hysterics - "Can't I Live"

   I listened to this EP a few days ago and immediately after it was over I played it again, something is that is a major rarity in my listening patterns. I usually go from release to release to release without much of a pause in between but when this one ended I just had to hear it again.
   Hysterics is an all-female thrashy punk band from Portland with a vocalist that has absolutely badass ripping screams. This EP was released as a 7" by M'Lady's Records earlier this year, who also released Vexx's similarly dope 10" but in my opinion this is even doper. In a way they have a fast, basic approach to their songs that's at once almost street punk a la Blatz while simultaneously reminding me of seriously-angry bands like Uniform Choice or, in the case of the hyperfast delivery in "Psychotic Drain," SOA. You can just tell in her scream, the gritty and powerful barks, that she means what she's saying.
   There are a few moments when the thrash culls slightly, like the deep echoey part in "Now I See What I Have Lost" and the mid-tempo rock n roll swagger in "Please Sir," which at 4 minutes is by far the longest track on the EP. I didn't read the lyrics but with a title like "Please Sir" and a refrain of "I want some more" I've got to assume it's a somewhat flippant/ironic comment on institutional misogyny etc. This track has the kind of continuous growing trudge that brings to mind Ceremony's "Sick" due to its constant repetition that builds and builds upon the same layer until it's weighing itself in.
   EP closer "No Vision" is expressive in a nearly Embrace-type way, bringing to mind the song "No More Pain" in particular, but of course with more intensely biting screams than MacKaye's near-talking delivery. The seemingly facetious imploring to "give me your blessing/thank you!" also brought to mind the kind of irreverent, nearly-cryptic yet still question-raising lyrics on Nirvana's first album, but that might just be because my brother has been playing "Bleach" like, all the damn time lately.
   This is highly recommended to fans of harsh yet listenable hardcore punk, especially those of you keen on killer female vocals; this chick really wails.

http://mladysrecords.bandcamp.com/album/mlr-044-cant-i-live-7-ep

No comments:

Post a Comment