Sunday, September 7, 2014

ALBUM REVIEW: Hideous Rebirth - "Partially Devoured"

   Hideous Rebirth is a "brutal" death metal band very much in the line of Dying Fetus, Suffocation or even Cannibal Corpse. Their recent album "Partially Devoured" was released earlier this year on Gore House Productions and I streamed it earlier tonight as I was folding my laundry.
   The first few songs were strong enough, the guitarists certainly know what they're doing and there's enough time changes to keep you interested, but the drums are clearly programmed and that's a major distraction for me. I wasn't really thinking too much of it one way or the other, it was cool stuff on the whole minus the minor drum annoyance so I was just letting it play through.
   That was until, however, I looked at the screen to see what the current song was called. It was called "Butthole Portal."
   Hideous Rebirth, how in the fuck am I supposed to take you seriously when you have a song called goddamned "Butthole Portal?" That's something Green Jelly would call a song; I feel like that'd be too stupid even for 90's GWAR. The song itself is okay but its just such a terrible song title that I felt compelled to write this review.
   Let's just act like I never looked at the tracklisting and talk about the music. This is very technical death metal that shifts from brutal heavy mosh parts into shredding grind-like parts with ease and there is a dual vocal approach featuring both curdled highs and guttural lows. Almost every song starts with some kind of macabre sample or another, although a couple I'm pretty sure I've heard on other albums.
   Upon looking up the band's Facebook page, it appears that this release was recorded entirely by founding member Duane Gutierrez so that would explain the programmed drums. He's recruited members of Ossification and In The Form Of Flesh to fill out the band so hopefully new stuff comes soon and it doesn't have embarrassingly juvenile song titles

.
http://gorehouseproductions.bandcamp.com/album/partially-devoured


No comments:

Post a Comment