Thursday, February 6, 2014

Playlist for January 2014

- This is the list of all the albums, EPs, demos, etc that I listened to in their entirety during the month of January 2014. I got kinda lazy about documenting things towards the end of the month because I listened to the same CDs over and over (which is odd for me but I couldn't help it) Afterwards are my notes and a list of the live performances I saw as well.

MUSIC:
1/1/14
Down Again - "Voices"
The Coltranes - "The Man With The Hat" EP
V/A - Hopeless Records Summer Sampler 2005
Smashing Pumpkins - "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" 2CD

1/2/14
Mahjongg - "The Long Shadow of the Paper Tiger"

1/3/14
Crisis Arm - "Fetch" EP
The Sundays - "Static & Silence"
Cro-Mags - "The Age Of Quarrel"

1/4/14
Cro-Mags - "Best Wishes"
The Telephone Projects - "Faustian Children"
Remiss - "Spring MMXIII" Demo
Crisis Arm - 2014 Demos
Nate Ramirez/n8Nothing - KP Demos
Kettle Cadaver - "Halloween"
Blood Orphans - S/T EP
Stella - September 2013 Demo
Kettle Cadaver - "Horronomicon" CD single
Apathean - "Eve"
Filter - "Short Bus"
Apathean - "Eve"
The Dillinger Escape Plan - "Miss Machine"

1/5/14
Front 242 - "Official Version"
Team Sleep - S/T
The B-52s - "Cosmic Thing"
The Effigies - "Remains Nonviewable"
Brett Siler - "In-Sea" EP
Feed Me Jack - "Anatolia"
The Speed Of Sound In Seawater - "First Contact"
V/A - D.A Records "Three Dee" compilation CD
The Nobles - "Pitfalls of Earth Life"
Over It - "Step Outside Yourself" tour sampler CD
Sights Sounds - "Mammoth" EP

1/6/14
Infinity Dots - "Fantasy Material"/"Hunchbacks" digitial single
Irie Society - S/T
Run With The Hunted - "Find Your Way Out" EP
Chronic Sick - "Cutest Band In Hardcore" EP
Chronic Sick - S/T 7"
Warrant - "Cherry Pie"

1/7/14
Sky Mall - "The Natural State" EP
Big Whup - S/T EP
Motion Picture Show - "Frame By Frame"
Between The Buried And Me - "The Great Misdirect"

1/8/14
Midwest Moms - S/T EP
Tyrannosaurus Zebra - "A Compact Disc"
Tyrannosaurus Zebra - "Striped Horse Dinosaur" EP
Sheep's Head - "Punk In The Trunk Bootlegs Vol. 4" live album

1/9/14
Suzy's Dead - "Vol. II"
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - "Global-A-Go-Go"

1/10/14
Crisis Arm - "Fetch" EP
INXS - "Kick"

1/11/14
Midwest Moms - S/T cassette
The Gravitys - "Bring You Down"
The Gravitys - May 2011 Demo
The Gravitys - June 2011 Demo
Growing - "Pumps!"
Kyoko - "Isn't That A Girl's Name?"
Baby Birds Don't Drink Milk - "Eek Shriek Beak"
The Hurt Process - "Drive By Monologue"

1/12/14
Brahms - "Shimmer/Suffocate"
Stars Are Insane - 12/27/2013 live recording
Stars Are Insane/Morgue Toad - split EP
Nicole Kidman - "If We Say It In Unison" EP

1/13/14
Del The Funky Homosapien - "Iller Than Most"
Shannon & The Clams - "Gremlins Crawl"/"White Rabbit" 7"
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - "Wig Out At Jagbag's"
Pilgrims - "Jessica"
end of the summer - "Second" EP
end of the summer - "Three" EP

1/14/14
end of the summer - "Second" EP
Funeral Oration - "Discography" Disc 2

1/15/14
Mr. Elevator & The Brain Hotel - "Nico & Her Psychedelic Subconscious"

1/16/14
Blood Brothers - "Crimes"
Bay Of Pigs - "Never" EP
Sleep Walk - "Never Alone"/"Throat Clogg" digital single
Hounds Of Hate - 2012 Cassette
The B-52s - "Cosmic Thing"

1/17/14
The B-52s - "Cosmic Thing"
Smashing Pumpkins - "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" Disc 2

1/18/14
Funeral Oration - "Discography" Disc 2

1/19/14
Funeral Oration - "Survival"
Carnifex - "Dead In My Arms"

1/20/14
The B-52s - "Cosmic Thing"

1/21/14
The Gravitys - "Bring You Down"

1/30/13
Vanna - "Curses"
V/A - Hopeless Records Summer Sampler 2005

MUSIC NOTES:
- The New Year's party I went to devolved into a fight just before midnight struck so it's fitting that the first album I listened to was a hardcore album. When I saw Down Again a few years ago at Vic's Warehouse a fight also occurred.
- That Hopeless Records sampler is like 100% good stuff; I forgot about a lot of those bands
- "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" is still soooo damn dense and awesome I love that album; fuck Celine Dion
- "Every Time"
- "World Peace Can't Be Done" ; Also, the drums on "Best Wishes" = damn
- Worst of the month: The Telephone Projects; Over It; INXS
- IMO Team Sleep is the best project that anyone involved with it has ever done; Classic
- It's difficult to convey how unexpectedly yet deeply I love the "Cosmic Thing" album; it's so fun but the melodies are just absolutely perfect; "Junebug" and especially "Topaz" are my favorite songs of the month
- Irie Society has never been my style exactly but damn did they do the thing; "Back In The Day"
- That Warrant CD isn't nearly as bad as I expected it was gonna be
- When I saw Motion Picture Show doing sound at the UCI Student Center, I seriously thought they were gonna blow right the fuck up; some of these songs are just so damn catchy; I was obviously wrong however
- I didn't like "The Great Misdirect" like, at all when I first got it but I think that's just because I had been so damn obsessed with "Colors"; After a few years have passed I see what a great album it is as well
- "Mondo Bongo"
- How was INXS so big they sucked
- It's annoying how much I listen to my own shitty music
- I never realized how familiar I was with that Baby Birds Don't Drink Milk CD...I've had it for several years and never tripped out on it and then this time it was like, damn I know every song
- Del The Funky Homosapien's new album is the dankness
- Pilgrims, 'bout to take shit over
- I can't believe I broke that Funeral Oration CD...What an idiot

LIVE:
1/10/14: Crisis Arm/Sheeps Head/Great Ghosts/Suzy's Dead/Midwest Moms/Tyrannosaurus Zebra @ The Dial
1/22/14: Heartless Breakers/Sledding With Tigers/Tommy Cornell & The Glass Daggers/(The Gravitys - acoustic) @ The Dial
1/25/14: C. Kitten/(end of the summer)/Rohith Gopal & Friend/File Island/Suzy's Dead @ The Dial Folk Night
1/30/14: Dogs/Ice Hockey/(The Gravitys)/Jurassic Shark @ Bridgetown DIY

LIVE NOTES:
- Midwest Moms are really good with a cool dark 80s feel
- Rohith Gopal & his friend play real folk music with nice melodies like they used to do in the 60s...Very Peter Paul And Mary, in the best of ways
- I messed up that end of the summer set so bad
- That was our first time going to Bridgetown and we had a good time. Thanks for having us.

No comments:

Post a Comment