Tuesday, February 22, 2011

CLUB SHOW REVIEW: DJ Aero with Tommy Lee/Mr. White @ Club Voyeur in San Diego, February 10 2011

Full disclosure: Up-and-coming progressive dubstep DJ Skrillex was the headliner for this particular event, but for reasons that shall be explained herein, I did not see him perform so I'm not listing him on the event heading.

Me and some friends drove down to San Diego this fine Thursday afternoon very excited for the show and bumping beats all the way down there. The girls had gotten a suite at the Gaslamp Hilton (or maybe it was the Hyatt? I can't remember) which was nice but the entire hotel was non-smoking which meant no balcony for me to blaze on. Also there was no refridgerator in there which seemed a bit weird but we made due.

Some of the friends had a reservation at Voyeur to have dinner there before the show and then get their tickets for a bit cheaper. So they took off and a bit later the rest of us walked down to the club. I was already drunk at this point because we had been hanging out taking shots for like an hour or so by this point. I was pretty loud and annoying in the line I think, but it really only goes downhill from here.

We get in the club, which was kinda small but really nice with a great lit-up stage area. There was an upper level that I never went up to. The place seemed pretty nice but there wasn't any real dress code, I mean I went in there in a T-shirt and jeans forchrissake. There was a dude in the bathroom giving you paper towels, which I've always found to be weird, and bottles of water cost $4. These are the facts.

As soon as we got there I foolishly got another drink although I had been complaining about not having had dinner or anything before the show started. I chugged it down and then chewed up one of the kandys I had like I was just on a mission to get super fucked up as fast as possible. Looking back I literally have no idea why I wanted to rush everything like that because I knew it would be a long night. But what can I say I'm a fool.

First up was a DJ called Mr. White who played some cool dancey shit but nothing really too interesting. Sometimes you don't need to be interesting, however, and I remember thinking he put on an alright show for an opening act nobody at all cared about. I managed to find my way to the front of the stage but soon relinquished it when I realized how thirsty I was getting. I broke down and bought a $4 waterbottle but I was beginning to feel a little loopy.

I made it back to the front of the stage, but I think I kinda pushed my way up as if I was at a metal show or something and that may have been the first warning sign. I was in the right corner of the stage kinda leaning in between the stage itself and the bar guarding between the normal dancefloor and the VIP area. Although the first pill had only just began to start hitting me, at this juncture I took the second one like a goddamn idiot.

Now it was the second performer, DJ Aero with Tommy Lee. I've never heard DJ Aero before but I'm a big Motley Crue fan so I was looking forward to seeing Tommy Lee, but I actually thought he'd be doing live drums to the DJ stuff like he used to do with DJ AM. This was not the case, he was spinning as well, but it was really really dope. From all accounts I've heard from, "he killed it."

Unfortunately this is when I started fading out. The last thing I really remember is that some singer chick with like shoulder length hipster-looking black hair came out on this platform area in the wall above the 2 DJs and everybody started tripping out so I got it on video. I actually got great footage since I was so close, but I straight up don't even know who she is so I don't know what to label it on YouTube. (Once I do load it I'll edit this post and put it on here cuz its really good quality at least visually.)

Watching the footage back, however, it starts to get kinda disturbing around the 10 minute mark or so because the camera all the sudden just kinda collapses onto the stage, and thats exactly what happened with me. I was just too fucking high, I took too much too soon and my system overloaded and I guess I just like passed out there on the stage. Security had to like come take me away and shit, which I have very vague recollections of but cannot really reconstruct too well.

Upon being thrown out of the club I must have had my shit together enough to not be walking around fucked up out of my mind and taken to jail, or thrown out of anywhere else that I can discern. From the looks of my bank statement, I went to a pizza place for some food and then to Friday's for a beer. I do kinda remember being at Friday's because I remember several of my crew getting kicked out as well. I was sitting there at the bar and one by one different members of the party crew came stumbling in because none of us had the room key to get back in until we found the girls.

As it turned out, Stephanie had the worst night of all of us because she got whisked away to the hospital really early on by some strangers who I guess just thought she was too fucked up. Out of a group of like 15 people I think like half of us missed Skrillex.

So yeah, moral of the story, don't get all fucked up past recognition at a club shit's different than at a rave. Pace yourself, don't take it all at once. Overall I look back on this night with a ton of regret because of the total cost of the damn thing and I hardly remember anything at all. It makes me want to stay away from kandy, at least in too small of a setting like that club. I get too buckwild.

No comments:

Post a Comment