Tuesday, February 8, 2011

CLUB REVIEW: "Vanity" nightclub in the Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas

Alright well I already fucked up in my yearlong quest to go to a show each week. I went to the In This Moment show week 1, and the Jandek show the next day but it counts as week 2 because it was the 8th, but I didn't go to anything music-related for the next two weeks. For that reason I am going to instead review my time at a club in Vegas cuz thats what I ended up doing the weekend of Jan 21, third week of the year. So now I guess the goal/resolution for 2011 is a bit broader, it doesn't necessarily have to be musical but every week I'll go out and do something that warrants a review. I can do that.

Also I fell a full 3 weeks behind in finishing this review even though it's not that long, so that gives you an idea of what this blog is gonna look like after awhile. I'll constantly be playing catch up so the events I'm reviewing are further and further back in my memory and my details will become more generic and shallow. I'm gonna try not let my own cynicism on my abilities to remain current come to reality but hear me now believe me later that's what's gonna happen.

So anyway on the weekend of the 21st I went to Vegas for my first time with close friends Eric and Elisse for another good friend Michelle's 21st birthday. We stayed at the Luxor and on the whole owned the place. Really a good time had by all. But for the purposes of this review I'm just gonna focus on Friday night, in particular the club Vanity at the Hard Rock Hotel.

Me and Eric were both having our first proper visits to Vegas this weekend and we were lucky enough to be in the company of several good-looking young ladies who had some connects in town so we were living it up. After arriving, checking in, reveling in the general feeling of awesomeness that we had, and getting ready, we met up with the girls and got taxis to the Hard Rock. Michelle's group was already at some restaurant there having dinner so we went there and waited while they finished eating.

After awhile some guy came and guided us to the club and put us in a short line as opposed to this other much longer line that had already formed. Our friend Stephanie had said that we were gonna get in for free without waiting, which me and Eric didn't believe at first, but that's exactly how it went down. We're just that fly.

After you pass by the security people you go up some stairs and enter the club. The place wasn't that big but it was alright. We hung out on a long couch with other parties on both sides of us, across from the bar in the back. The dancefloor in the front was almost completely empty when we first arrived but it picked up pretty well. The girls somehow got free bottle service but me Chris and Justin bought drinks at the bar which were like $20 each. So much for free entry, right?

We drank a bit and I'm pretty sure we were the biggest hassle of the night for people working at the club because we spilled shit a couple times, I feel like Elisse or somebody broke something glass but I might be wrong...We were all dancing away from the dancefloor like had our own dancefloor where they are accustomed to walking through so employees were constantly shuffling by us annoyedly. That's how we do. We make dancefloors everywhere we go -------->

The music was a pretty good blend of modern Akon-style mainstream hip-pop, 90s gangster rap or New Jack Swing type grooves, and then towards the end of the night more house/club/techno stuff. I would say that the DJ actually did a really good job of keeping everybody dancing and there weren't many down times in terms of beatage for the dance floor to rock to. There was a long table separating the bar area from the dancefloor with poles for drunken girls to go dance on. Always a nice touch.

Some slight criticisms: I will say that I feel like access to the dancefloor was a problem, there was just a narrow stairway on each end to get into it and compared to the club we went to the next night, "Haze" at the Aria, there just wasn't that much going on in terms of lighting, entertainment, overall feeling of dopeness, etc. We had a good time because we were all vibing extra good but the club itself was a bit claustrophobic and I dunno, normal. I feel like the clubs I've gone out to in OC were bigger and cooler than this one in Vegas.

All in all however we had a really fun night and I would go back to this place if I again didn't have to pay or wait a substantial amount of time. The atmosphere was relaxed and fun especially if you are out with a big group of friends.

Here's a picture of the crew I was with, minus Stephanie the night's constant photographer:

This wasn't the only club we went to that weekend, like I said we went to Haze at the Aria the next night, but this review fulfills my basic requirement of one review for each week of the year and just this took me too long due to massive procrastination and unexpected busyness since. You can make up your own version of events in that sick sick mind of yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment