Tuesday, February 7, 2017

CD MINI-REVIEW: Zoology 5-song demo/EP

   Zoology was some band from Orange County who played back when I was in college. I don't think I ever actually saw them play but I remember the main dude would come to Acrobatics Everyday shows every now and again and always had really big headphones on. I've had this 5-song self-released CD for like a decade and probably only listened to it two or three times cuz its just not very good. It's middle-of-the-road kinda-indie rock so bland I can't really think of who to compare it to except for other nondescript kinda-indie bands that were destined to be a short-lived local thing from the start. Besides how just uninteresting the songs are, they go on way way too long. Each song on this thing I thought to myself, this song already kinda sucked and they're just gonna keep it going? Like they extend the songs to four minutes cuz thats how long a song is supposed to be or whatever but its needless. Maybe it wouldn't have been so droll if they just knocked them suckers out quicker.
   The only semi-decent song is called "Coffee Song" and that's cuz its a upbeat instrumental track verging on sounding maybe like The Minutemen being hella lazy. The vocals are really bad throughout the EP, not even just that the guy's off-key - which he is - but he sounds bored by his own boring music. It's just a really thin release. I think that guy stopped going to shows at UCI when I was in my junior year and I can't even remember his name.
   Nothing special at all; not recommended.

www.myspace.com/zoologymusic

No comments:

Post a Comment