Monday, May 20, 2013

BAND QUASI-INTERVIEW: Four Minute Mile

   Four Minute Mile is a pop-punk band from Washington state who did a tour of the West Coast recently. My BFFs in Crisis Arm played at their tour kickoff up in WA and then my band The Gravitys played with them a few days later when they stopped by The Dial. They were all really awesome dudes, helpful and humble, friendly but not overbearing. Their set that night was spot-on, one of the better groups within their stylistic realm who have cruised by the warehouse recently, and we all had a good time chilling at the 'merch'/lobby area in between sets. The drummer dude even bought my old Betrayed T-shirt since I had set up a little mini-'distro' box. Thanks, man!
   After the show I decided to just ask them some real basic questions and jot down their responses haphazardly. Like my recent 'interview' with The Frights this was done my compiling the scribbled versions of what they said with my general memories the conversation. I should really start bringing a voice recorder around with me like everywhere I go so these issues stop arising.
   My initial question regarded the tour and anything in particular they've noticed/had problems with/wanted to share. Drummer dude Kevin informed me that this was Day 5 of the current tour; they had driven from WA to the Bay Area, out to Las Vegas ("Jesus Christ it was hot") and then back to CA. The entire ordeal has been "way hotter than we're used to." According to the gibberish I have written down it looks like they've played with bands like The Sheds, Dead End Alaska ("those are the dudes"), Anchorless from Pasadena, as well as Carlos The Dwarf and Headway (and The Gravitys :D) from that night. He mentioned a place called The Terrace, which I think is where they played with Anchorless and it was a bar/venue although he didn't have bad things to say about it like most people do about "venues" that are actually just bars. For some reason I also had the words "Dragonball-Z" written in this section of my notes. IDK.
   Their bassist Sebastian also had a few things to say when I presented my general questions. He said that the highlight of playing with FMM (and this sounded to be a general reflection not just regarding the tour) were the people who come to shows and actually stick around for all the bands, instead of just showing up for their friends' group and then leaving. His logic was like, 'if you're gonna pay for the show, stick around for the whole show!' True dat. He had nice things to say about the bands and people they've worked with recently and his overall advice was "Help Out. Be Nice. Everybody Love Everybody (ELE)."
   I spoke to the vocalist Devon after everybody else and he talked about a band who took them out when they were in Northridge. It looks like their name might have been Study & The Search or something but honestly that portion of the interview is pretty goddamn illegible, even to me. Chicken-scratch.

   The most important question I pose during any 'interview' I ever conduct is "What's your favorite breakfast food?", to which I received legitimate answers from each member of the band EXCEPT Kevin, who otherwise was the most informative.
   Sean the guitarist likes poppyseed muffins from CostCo.
   Brent the other guitarist has a preference for biscuits & gravy.
   "I love Honey Nut Cheerios more than life" - Sebastian
   Devon mentioned a breakfast sandwich composed of bacon sausage and eggs that I wrote "4 of'em" next to. Eating 4 of that sandwich would be too much.
   They all seemed to have an affinity for breakfast burritos, I feel like that was mentioned several times, although none of them specified them as their go-to favorite. Read into that however you would like.

www.facebook.com/fourminutemilewa
fourminutemile.bandcamp.com

*I wrote this while waiting for burgers at the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment