Saturday, August 18, 2012

ALBUM REVIEW: Cannibal Corpse - "Torture" (2012)


One of the things I have always loved about Cannibal Corpse was their consistency. If you’ve heard one Cannibal Corpse album, you’ve pretty much heard them all. The vocals changed on 1996’s “Vile”although most people outside the death metal world would not be able to tell the difference whatsoever, and their production has of course been improving with the times. But stylistically, Cannibal Corpse forged a distinct and signature sound that they have done very little to tamper with in 25 years. This is one of the things that I love about them. They figured out what they were early, and they stuck to it.

However, their newest release “Torture” just doesn’t hit me with the same vigor as previous releases, and for the very characteristic that I always held so important about them: This album sounds like a bunch of Cannibal Corpse songs I’ve already heard before. But not in the cool way, like this is a cool extension of what was going on in the last album; it’s more like, I have heard this exact part before. The particular offender is actually opening track and lead single “Demented Aggression.” The first time I heard it, when it was a streaming promo for the album, I noticed that it had parts that reminded me of both “Blowtorch Slaughter” and “Devoured By Vermin” from earlier albums. I also just felt like it wasn’t HEAVY like their past material but I shrugged it off to a lack of brutality in my life at the moment or something. When I listened to the album in its entirety, however, I felt the exact same way. That’s not a good sign considering I’ve long considered this band one of my favorites in all of death metal.

The vibe of overly-familiar material carried throughout the first few songs; trudging, double-bass driven mid-tempo sections, randomly placed almost-grind parts, groove-laden parts, Corpsegrinder’s trademark buzzsaw vocals. It just wasn’t doing much for me. Not that I wasn’t enjoying it more than other midway metal albums I’ve heard lately, but this is Cannibal Corpse forsatanssake. I’m usually raving about everything they do.

The standout tracks for me were “Encased in Concrete,” which elicits a very paranoid feeling throughout, and “Caged…Contorted” which features an almost-melodic bass backdrop from Alex Webster towards the middle of the track and sees the band in a more interesting songwriting mode than some of the more familiar tracks scattered throughout. “Crucifier Avenged” is another one, that although reminding me of “I Will Kill You,” has a cool groove throughout that sees the vocals acting as almost a percussive factor. Although pretty standard rhythmically, compared to the kind of changes that are fundamental to Cannibal Corpse’s sound, this almost makes for a more classic feel.

The song “As Deep As The Knife Will Go” is nearly an anomaly for the band, as it sees them in some fucked-pop-structure, the chorus even being somewhat intelligible to the untrained ear. Apparently it’s a loveletter from a psychopath or something, but I don’t really take much time to go into the often-ridiculous lyrics these guys come up with so I can’t speak much to that. The weakest track in my opinion was “Intestinal Crank” if only because it seemed a bit forced at times, and there were segments that seemed poorly planned or poorly executed or SOMETHING. Webster has some cool bass solos in “The Strangulation Chair” and “Rabid” but again, these songs on the whole just fade into the overall bludgeon that is this album.

If you’re a Cannibal Corpse fan, you probably won’t be disappointed by what’s here but you definitely aren’t gonna lose your shit because of how dope it is. If you’re looking for variance and subtlety in your heavy metal music, this was probably never the band for you in the first place, but this album is definitely not gonna help.

I think maybe the problem for Cannibal Corpse at this point in their career is that there are just so many bands in the overall death metal market nowadays that what once made them seen as one of the more extreme, offensive bands in the world – or at least a nefarious, almost cartoonish outlier in the death metal community – is now just, in a word, generic. It’s like how it goes with other longstanding confections: Their formula has worked for so goddamn long that there really isn’t a reason to change it, but there are so many other brands out their now that even the loyal customers are growing tired of the taste. That said, if all the other brands go out of business, at least we have a quality confection that we can always rely on to be exactly the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment